Planning Your Visit
- National Curriculum links (KS2 – 5) for STEM Pod sessions can be downloaded here.
- National Curriculum links for individual workshops and shows can be found on the workshops and shows pages.
Risk assessments and Health & Safety
The following sections contain information to help you conduct a risk assessment prior to your visit. Teachers and group leaders are welcome to visit the building prior to the trip in order complete a risk assessment. To organise this, please contact our bookings team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7882 2562.
Please note that human organs are on display during the exhibition, and that the exhibition contains bright lights that flash at low frequency.
- All areas of a visit are fully accessible.
- If you require specific facilities, please contact us on 020 7882 2562.
Supervision / Behaviour
- All groups will be accompanied by two Centre of the Cell staff, who are fully briefed in emergency procedures.
- Visitors between the ages of 12 and 16 should be accompanied by one responsible adult for every fifteen children.
- Visitors under the age of 12 should be accompanied by one responsible adult for every ten children.
- Accompanying adults are responsible at all times for the behaviour of the minors they accompany to ensure their Health and Safety.
- If the behaviour of anyone in your group disrupts the visit for others or puts themselves or others at risk this person may be asked to leave. Please brief your students about appropriate behaviour before your visit
- Trained first-aiders are on-call during all visits.
- Centre of the Cell is less than five minutes’ walk from the Accident & Emergency Department at The Royal London Hospital.
- All Health & Safety incidents are reported and recorded.
Fire and Evacuation
Centre of the Cell staff are trained in our evacuation procedures; should it be necessary to evacuate please follow their instructions promptly and calmly.
Child Protection Policy
- All Centre of the Cell delivery staff are DBS checked.
- Centre of the Cell’s child protection policy is regularly reviewed and is available on request.
Teachers should bring a list of all pupils present or, if this is unavailable, sign in all of their students on arrival. This is a requirement of our Health & Safety Officers, who need to know how many people are in the building at any one time. This list can be left with the Centre of the Cell staff.
If you have booked more than one session, the group may be able to have lunch in Neuron Pod, however this should be arranged with our bookings team prior to your visit (email@example.com).
Please note that food and drink are not permitted in STEM Pod, and chewing gum is not permitted anywhere in the Blizard Institute or Centre of the Cell.
All coats and bags will be deposited in the cloakroom for the duration of the visit and may be collected prior to entry to the shop at the end. The cloakroom will be locked, but please ask your students not to bring unnecessary valuables. Unfortunately we cannot take responsibility for any losses that occur during the visit.
Book a visit
Opening Times for Schools
During term time, session times are as follows:
Monday to Friday:
10:00 – 11:30
11:30 – 13:00
13:30 – 15:00